Pink Beer batches 4&5

Spring has arrived and it is time to make more pink beer.  I am further refining the technique and materials.  I like doing this as a double size batch (10 gal) due to the extra time and steps involved. Plus I want to try adding marshmallow flavoring to half

Kettle sour

5 gal water

12 lbs Bavarian Wheat Liquid Malt Extract

6lbs Breiss Pilsen Light Dry Malt Extract

Starting pH = 6.05

4 grams (approx) Llalamand Sour Pitch lactobacillus. Reconstitute in 50% wort and water mix for ~ 1 hour   .   Start this before putting the wort on to boil (above).    The remainder of the 10g package was sealed and placed in the freezer.

Rest 36 hours at 85F – heater wrap on the brew kettle

Final pH = 3.14   – I could probably have reduced the amount of the sour pitch

Boil

Stir the wort to get the bacteria off the bottom. You dont want them to scorch

Add 3 lbs Pale Dry malt extract (could double this if you like).

Add 2 oz Tettnanger hops

Boil for 60 min

Rapidly chill to ~75F with wort chiller and then mix with cold water for final temp of 62F.

Primary fermentation

Reconstitute 2 packs of T-58 yeast in 1.5 l wort and place on stir plate.  I did this for about 2 hours  but overnight (as a proper starter)  would probably be better.

OG ~ 1.060

Ferment at basement floor temp (62F ) for 3 days and then slowly raise 1F per day to 69F

Secondary Fermentation

Transfer to secondary – at 10.020 SG

10 lbs frozen mixed berries – 3.5lb blackberries, 4lb blueberries, 1.5 lb raspberries, 1lb strawberries.   I am sticking with the ratio of 1lb of fruit per gallon of beer. These were allowed to thaw in a large stainless bowl overnight and then the stick blender was used to break them up .

These were added to the beer in the secondary fermenters. It came to about 2.8l each.

Lower temp to 65F for 3 days then raise to 75 at 1 degree per day to finish off.

Kegging

The stick blender turned out to be a horrible mistake for filtering (may have helped flavor, but was an unbearable PITA for filtering and kegging ). The fermented fruit pulp  matted up the various filters almost immediately.   I tried multiple methods to filter and not simultaneously oxygenate the beer. No clear winner here but the stainless filter, drawing from the bottom fermenter valve with very careful non-disturbance of the trub seemed to work best. Using a pump siphon just stirred everything up and led to a lot of mess and frustration as the filters (bag or stainless), had to be cleaned multiple times.

Here is the result posted by my daughter, Jessie.