The method is repeatable.
We have made 2 more 18-20 lb batches as of 9/23/18. Each is as good as the last and leaves more room for experimenting with the spices.
It is definitely better to do the low temp smoke on a calm day. I am still having a bit of temp control trouble if windy as the Heatermeter does not yet have a damper. The problem is if the temperature spikes a bit, more fat renders off. With more fat on the fire, the temperature spikes and so on. Better if it can be held low and slow or you are a better tender of the smoker than I. Batch 3 was spiking on smoker temperature and was pulled at 3 hours. Batch 4 was kept low and slow for 4.5 hours.
The slabs of skinless pork belly we have been buying at Costco are in the 9-10 pound range. To best fit for smoking , they are sliced into thirds. We use a Large Big Green Egg with the 3 tier rack as you can see below. This was taken at the start of the smoking process.
4.5 hours later with the smoker temp at 190F, the internal tem is between 150F and 154F and has been there for the last hour. This is now food safe and pasteurized.
Net step is to refrigerate overnight, slice, bag and freeze. Ready for frying and raiding by the kids.
The first to go was the powder-room on the first floor. The old countertop came off easily. I had already installed shut-off valves for the faucet and had new a new P-trap and extensions ready as the drain holes would not line up.
I was able to carry this top by myself. Teal helped to guide it into position and hold it up while silicone seal was applied to the counter to glue it in place. We then carefully lowered it down and slid it the last little bit still at an angle. The backsplash is mosaic tile on top of Hardi backer board so that it is not too far recessed behind the marble pencil trim.
To drill the faucet hole I placed the template and clamped it down. This makes starting the ore drill / hole saw easy and prevents it from skittering around and damaging the top. I tried adding water but immediately sprayed out all over. Just place the vacuum nozzle nearby to catch the majority of the dust.
Similar process for the master bath. However when I pulled out the old tile top, the backsplash was about 1/4″ too low to fit over the new top. So I had to pull off the old tiles and broke two. Fortunately 24 years ago when I originally installed the tile I had saved the spares in a dark corner under the basement stairs. The old tiles needed a bit of clean up on the stationary belt sander. So now the”new” backsplash was installed and matches that around the shower.
Sinks are Kohler, the top faucet was a Kohler Toobie, and the master bath has a Hansgrohe. The savings on the tops paid for the tools and upgraded fixtures.
Funny point. Teal was sealing the granite and we wondered about using the sealer on the quartz. She looked it up and came away laughing. It is not needed as the only thing that stains it is permanent marker, which is why I had to polish off my measurement marks.
The kids got me a couple of Emile Henry ceramic bakers for my birthday. One is baguette pan and the other is a bread loaf pan. Today was the first trial of them. The bread was made in between all of the yard work and errands that needed to get done with our slow spring and sudden summer — 95F today.
This is based on the Multigrain sourdough recipe but I was out of the KAF Harvest Grains Blend. So to substitute I used the following mix which was soaked in the boiling water:
- 1/4 c poppy seed
- 1/4 c steel cut oats
- 1/4 white sesame seeds
- 1/2 c roasted / salted pepitas / sunflower seed mix (from Farm and Fleet)
The dough was a bit wet, I probably had too much water in the starter feed but then added more bread flour to make up. Again the dough was mixed and rested for 30 min before the kneading. First rise was 2 hrs at 76F (I had to run out and go get more herbs for the garden) . After rolling to shape, the top was brushed with water and the black sesame seeds were springkled on . Second rise was 1 hour at 100F.
Bake at 425 F for 33-38 min with the last 5 min uncovered.
YUM! Thank you: Jessie, Elyse and David for the bakers.
I am in the process of overhauling my website and postings. In the meantime you can find my old boatbuilding website here: Riviera Construction Project.
In the last few years I have been letting my projects, comments and photos get scattered. This has resulted in a mix of items on Facebook, columns I have written and various forums with the unfortunate consequence of not having a single place to go and find my prior posts which are located at:
- Glen-l boatbuilding forum – I was active while building and did a column for the monthly newsletter for a few years
- Wisconsin Woodworkers Guild – I wrote a monthly column while I was president.
- Facebook – Lots of posts , notes and photo albums including the majority of my dive photos, but not very accessible to the general public
- Youtube – I have a Youtube Channel that will be gaining more content. Currently mostly dive videos.
- Southbend lathe yahoo groups – Superb resource for those interested in South Bend Lathes . Huge help when I rebuilt my SBL 13
- HID Dive Lights yahoo group – This is where I documented much of my dive light builds
- Hobby Machinist – Another great resource and most helpful while I rebuilt my Bridgeport Mill
- CNC Zone – Current CNC router project resource
and more – you get the idea. Lots of scatter.
So now I will be consolidating everything back here. It will take some time to gather the various pieces back as well as get the new content posted.
The impetus for all of this is my newest project. It is a CNC router. This is another scratch built project. I want to document the build and resources as I did with the boat and not just have it in another web site’s forum.