So we waited a week after grouting for the clean up.
In the meantime, the thresholds for the front door and garage door needed to be sanded, stained and varnished. This was a small detour.
Replacing the base shoe trim went rather smoothly. A few grout clumps to clean out, but otherwise it went well.
Laundry sink went back in well. Looking at the dryer vent hose it was discovered it was torn on both ends and needed to be redone. Washer and dryer went back in with help from David. My left hand still not quite up to pulling the cart up and reconnecting.
Teal did the acid wash / grout haze removal and buffing of the tiles.
The weatherstripping on the garage door needed to be replaced as the bronze on the hinge side had broken. I tried flat bronze on the garage door but was not satisfied with the results and will need to redo. Holding the tiny nails with fingers that can’t grip worth a darn was a joy. When removing the front door threshold, half of the weatherstripping was damaged as well. The v-shape, folded weatherstripping is rather hard to find. I had it ordered from Ace.
The main frustration was the foyer closet doors. These are sliding doors. They had not been working well before the tile job so I picked up replacement rollers at Ace. However when reinstalling I discovered that that the offset for each door is different! so the new rollers did not work. The old ones would not stay on the track and I discovered that I could not reinstall the retainer in the middle as the floor was now ever so slightly higher. Argh!. So the 6 panel doors were taken downstairs and cut about 5/16″ shorter. Now the bottom guide could be installed but the doors would not stay on the tracks and I could not adjust the rollers well to close the gaps along the door edges. So this meant a trip to Home Depot for a new sliding door track kit. This installed easily and the doors now work well. All told, a 3 hour detour (with 2 trips to the store) for what was to be simply rehanging 2 closet doors. The bathroom door also needed to be shortened as well.
Finally the thresholds are caulked and reinstalled. The only thing left to do is to finish the weatherstripping. Done.